Sunday 2 March 2008

Ask the Guru - Holiday Mum

Yet another weary traveller has made the arduous trek to my blog seeking wisdom. If they keep coming at this rate, I'm going to have to expand my pole to include a waiting room.
Dear Freelance Guru.

Why do we celebrate mothers' day? My boyfriend and I have a bet about it and it's beginning to get violent.

Relationship Issues

Bender's Militant mother's day card. FuturamaI just don’t get Mothers’ day. Motherhood isn’t an annual event, unless you’re a highly fertile Catholic. Having one day a year when you act more ‘motherly’ than the other 364 would normally result in a visit from Social Services.

It all started in Britain in the 16th Century as a day to visit your Mother-church, possibly to present status reports on the plans to conquer Earth. After the Civil War however, Anna Jarvis stole the idea for America, warping it to give servants a day off so they could annoy their mothers by hanging around the house. It’s interesting to note that 9 years later Miss Jarvis hated her holiday so much she rallied against it. Nowadays, Mothers day is little more than an excuse for Mothers to lie about while their kids run around doing a terrible job of the housework. Several other ‘special days’ have spun off from it, such as Fathers’ Day, Grandparents’ Day and Professional Administrators’ Day. Personally, I’ve been trying to publicize Guru Day - a day when I can stop being a guru and get off this pole. Weekends and bank holidays are just not enough…

But of course, mothers are blessed, they deserve a special day, and we should be thankful for them. I seldom see mine and I’m highly thankful for that. An elevation of 15 foot gives me plenty of time to turn on my iPod, close my eyes and pretend I can’t hear her shouting up at me. This is for her benefit as well as mine. She struggles to handle my infinite wisdom and, apparently, talking to me ‘exhausts her.’

And at her age, I feel it’s only right to let her rest.

Are you seeking wisdom? The Guru has the answers.

3 Comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Yes, humans love to feel special so they all want a special day - Mother's Day, Father's Day, Dickhead's Day, Floozy's Day. Gurus should be above such vanity, especially if they're perched on a pole.

Linda said...

Perhaps Anna Jarvis was a mother herself and feeling somewhat taken for granted hence her reason to start Mother's Day? Or perhaps there was a person with the surname "Hallmark" hidden somewhere within the family who was an amateur greeting card artist and this was Ms. Jarvis' chance to propel that family member towards a highly lucrative future? Just a theory ...

Speaking as a mother of three, though, let me just say that Mother's Day hasn't really amounted to a hill of beans over the years except for the aforementioned Hallmark card! I honestly don't think that one appreciates one's parents (be they mother or father) until one becomes a parent him or herself. Only then do you finally get all the nuances and ins-and-outs of the rather thankless job and it's at that point that you understand Mother's Day and Father's Day both!

Just my own observations from the bottom of the pole!

Anonymous said...

Mr Bananas
Unfortunatly, unlike you I was not born with a natural ability to live up trees, and poles and the like. If you were in my shoes, you'd want a day off too. Although I imagine the laces would pose a problem for you.

Linda
Of course one could also see what a tough job their parents do, decide it's not for them, and then avoid having children from that day on. Unfortunatly this realisation came a little too late for me.