Monday 21 April 2008

The Origins of Dawg

Dear Guru

What's the origins of the American male usage of "dawg".

Wassup dawg, you're my dawg, yeah, dawg...

Ally

I thought that this was obvious.

The word was invented by Randy of American Idol fame as a way of making the millions of viewers, all of whom have IQs that can be measured on the rictor scale, think he was cool.

Legend has it that he thought of the idea when listening to a dog howl outside his mansion in the night. The misguided judge was so impressed by the off-key intonation that he gave the dawg it's own moniker.

To this day the word dawg is used to refer to someone who is cool, sings off key, and hasn't had a bath in a month.


Marcus

7 Comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

The original dawg was a real dawg called Deputy Dawg. He was also a deputy sheriff, which was a great achievement for a dog in those days.

http://www.toonopedia.com/dawg.htm

Anonymous said...

I understand now, however this concerns me.

Am I not to take being called a fit bird as a compliment anymore?

Anonymous said...

Mr Bananas - Of course dogs nowadays can become sherif without even thinking about it. Lazy bloody pups of today...

Stealtherella - Well, at least it means you don't have a broken leg. Although it could mean that you have chicken wings.

Anonymous said...

Well as long as they aren't implying I have anything to do with the unclean state of their cars, I can live with it.

And would chicken wings happen to mean the same thing as bingo wings and tuckshop arms, as in saggy fat arms that wobble underneath?

Is it really possible that I am learning something on the internet.

Linda said...

Well, dawg, I just gotta tell ya - this post didn't do it for me. It was a little pitchy and flat in places. If you're going to continue to post next week you need to bring your A-game otherwise you risk elimination ... dawg!

Romeo Morningwood said...

S'up?
I thought that it was Hillary Clinton who said, "Bill is a hard Dawg to keep on the front porch."

Anonymous said...

I came here looking for spelling errors and now have to slink away disappointed. I have to tell you, as someone who was partially responsible for 'Letting the Dawgs out' back in the day, I got a kick out of this post. Additionally, I can vouch for the awesomeness that was Deputy Dawg and his ongoing albeit futile quest to land the "Grandaddy of all Catfish." I bid you goodday sir.