Friday 25 July 2008

Why I don't rate Wall-E

I’ve always loved Disney, ever since I watched The Little Mermaid on repeat while my parents 'faced off' in the kitchen. It was a poorly-made, pirated copy and had an episode of Casualty taped over the last few minutes (for years I was convinced Prince Eric had to have some Kidney Stones removed) but I loved it none the less.

So, the other day, I took the family to see Wall-E

And this 'Charming, audacious, and timely' Pixar release was largely underwhelming.

Now I'm not a movie Expert. This may surprise you; I am, after all, an expert on the infinite, which includes, by definition, pretty much everything, but I live off my Pilgrims donations (and the Dole) so by the time I've paid for my Snack food, Pole Tax, and subscription to Playboy, I barely have enough left for a second car, yet alone a Movie.

And when I do see movies, I normally agree with the Critics; it is, after all, much easier than arguing with them.

But for all its character, emotion and beauty, this artistic animation is lacking something:- laughter. There are less laughs in the movie than in this blog post and I left the theatre eager to get online and read some fundamentalist Religious blogs so I at least had something to laugh about that day.

Wall-E left me sombre, confused, and slightly Gassy (cinema soda does that to me). While an amazing creation, it lacks ‘Disney Magic’. (And having just had Disney magic shoved down my throat for 2 weeks I know what it should feel like.)

But my wife, my Little Girl and all the critics (except one) loved it. So, maybe, I'm alone in this.

But then, being a genius, years ahead of the popular opinion, I'm afraid loneliness is inevitable. Be it Wall-E, Religion, or Chunky Soup, I’m up on my pedestal waiting, thinking, and very, very alone.

At least, that is, until the neighbours start shouting abuse up at me from the lawn. But then they liked Ghost Ship, what the hell do they know...

Marcus
More laughs than overly pretentious Disney movies can be found at Humor Blogs.com

7 Comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

Disney achieved its pinnacle with The Jungle Book, but it seems that a lot of people found this movie funny. Maybe you are a fogie of sorts.

Anonymous said...

I loved WALL-E! I even cried a little at the end, it was just so beautiful.

Linda said...

This movie isn't on my list of Must-See's. Come to think of it, I don't have a list of Must-See's now that I give it some thought!

AmyOops said...

havent seen it yet, but the kids want too. wanted to say thanks for all your great comments on my blog. You have a fooh king good one too.

Amy

Anonymous said...

haven't seen it yet, but planning to watch it :) looks like a cool movie with a great story :D

Canucklehead said...

you have some sort of issue with chunky soup there friendo?

Unknown said...

The movie is really worth watching! I watched it with my family and everybody liked it, notwithstanding the fact there are no many word in it. Here's the link for downloading