Tuesday 26 February 2008

Presidential Predictions

A seeker of truth has sought me for advice.

Dear Freelance Guru
Can you tell me who win the 2008 Election, preferably before they stop taking bets?

Congressional Gambler.

Thank you for your question, seeker of enlightenment.

You fail to mention which election you are interested in. I, for one, am eagerly awaiting the results of the 2008 Bristol Book Club Elections. My money’s on Irene: her policy on multi-genre reviewing etiquette has made her quite a hit with the younger generation. Although, of course, I have evolved beyond the concept of wealth and no longer indulge in gambling. I always lose anyway.

John McCain - growl! http://punchup.files.wordpress.comI have been watching the American elections with great interest. It may surprise you to know that the average pole-based British hermit pays attention to such things, but it will affect me just as much as the rest of the free world. For one thing I wouldn’t understand the jokes on have ‘I Got News For You.’ And besides, if you want to get anywhere when conversing with the infinite, it helps to be up on gossip.

But if I had precognition, I would have gained my fortune by now thanks to a 12 season contract with Fox. As I don’t yet have my own prime time show, it is safe to assume I do not have the gift of foresight and can not confirm where best to place your bet. But it does seem to me, and Luke agrees, that the candidate to back is John McCain for 3 good reasons:
  1. As for the mud-flinging Democrats, to quote the great Philosopher Sam Fox, ‘When two people mud wrestle, even the winner ends up covered in mud.’ America does not want a dirty President, unless, of course, they’re prepared to lie about it.
  2. All who truly think America is ready for a black / female president raise your hand and say ‘Duuuuuuurrrrrrr!’
  3. And finally, his name – ‘John Mc-Cain.’ Three strong, all-American syllables. Whereas, Hilary Clinton has the word ‘Clinton’ in it and Barack Obama sounds like a Al-Qaeda training camp.
Of course, by the time the primaries are over, John McCain may well be dead. But, based on recent history, the American public would probably still elect him anyway.

Hope this helps,
Blessings and peace be with you as you march towards enlightenment via the bookies on the corner.

Marcus
The Freelance Guru
Are you seeking wisdom? The Freelance Guru has the answers!

9 Comments:

Preeti Shenoy said...

AH!! Now I get it--Thanks for th enlightenment, freelance guru! :-)
:-)

Anonymous said...

I had no idea there was so much etiquette revolving around books.

Miss Britt said...

Nope. No way.

Obama is beating McCain in the polls right now.

We've been stupid a long time - but we're also desperate now. :-)

Coaster Punchman said...

Miss Brit is right. McCain is a pipsqueak. Although he would be infinitely better than that retard we're stuck with for the moment, America tends to go with the most charismatic and handsome candidate, and that right now clearly is Obama. Pipe down about the Al Quaida thing too while you're at it; some of the Republicans are already trying to have a hey-day about his middle name (Hussein.) Don't encourage them. Although to McCain's credit he already bitchslapped some guy who was supporting him who was trying to use that against Obama; McCain told him it was not appropriate. Bravo.

Anonymous said...

ps - Truly, enlighentment comes to those who wait. Also those who send me money

Say it - Where have you been? It's so easy to offend people now adays by but their book in the wrong sub-genre! Irene has devised a wonderful method where we avoid mentioning the genre of the book at all. Sometimes we don't even mention the book which means people can spend hours discussing completly different books with each other and be blisfully unaware

Miss Britt - It is encouraging to see at least some of America may be awakening. I hope you will spread the word. If you need any tips I am always here.

CP - McCain bitchslapping anybody is something I would like to see...

Gorilla Bananas said...

Your wisdom befits the bastard son of the late Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. I'm not saying you are his bastard son, but your wisdom befits him. There's another guy on my blogroll called 'The Freelance Cynic'. He's gay and pure of heart. Don't confuse yourself with him.

Anonymous said...

Mr Bananas
I am unfamilar with the Yogi you mention, and as I am currently not talking to my mother (not for any reason, just because I don't want to) I will not be able to check.

As to the Freelance Cynic, I am very aware of him. We share many things in common including a body. It makes it somewhat akward when he sleeps with his boyfriend...

Gorilla Bananas said...

I believe they're married now.

Anonymous said...

Gorillia Bananas
Really? Blimey I wasn't even invited. What do you call the male spouse of a man? 'My husband' sounds a bit wrong coming from someone with stubble. Unless it's my mother of course...